THANK YOU for your interest in our award-winning residency programme.
Due to COVID-19, we are NOT accepting applications.
We will make an announcement when this changes.
A charitable organisation operated by volunteers, we have coordinated residencies for nearly 500 creative practitioners since 2001, facilitating them to have the time and space to work on a project of their choice.
Please contact us:
- If you would like to undertake a residency (see below)
- If you would like to sponsor a residency/Fellowship for a creative practitioner.
- If you are part of an arts, educational, media or community group and would like to connect with us.
- If you would like to make a donation (ANZ # 06 0501 0893089 00). We are a registered charity (CC 22090).
- If you would like to volunteer.
Information on our residencies:
NZ Pacific Studio Artist Residency Programme is located in Wairarapa, New Zealand.
Accommodation is in self-contained cottages or family homes -- mostly in rural areas of Wairarapa. Many of our hosts are creative practitioners themselves. We pair residents to the appropriate space.
Our residencies are self-funded (residents secure their own funding) and self-catering (residents purchase their own food and prepare their own meals).
NZ Pacific Studio artists/creatives are expected to focus on their project during the residency but are not expected to perform or hold an exhibition as a result.
Residencies are available 9 months of the year - we are closed July, August and September (the NZ winter months).
The minimum residency period is 2 weeks and the maximum is 3 months.
We currently offer residencies to selected artists at rates from NZ$420 a week. Additional days charged from NZ$60/night.
A transportation fee of NZ$ 70/week applies if the artist has no vehicle (petrol is additional).
Many residents arrive in Wairarapa on the Wairarapa Line train from Wellington - here is the timetable and information. There is also Tranzit/Intercity bus service, less frequent, from Palmerston North - here is information.
Each year we offer about five Fellowships that are supported residencies. Please read the "Fellowships" section of the website for background information. We announce these opportunities on the "News" page of this website.
Please e-mail your application, in one document, under 1 mb:
- Name, Date, Country of residence, website link (if any), a short biography
- Short description of the project you intend to work on during the residency,
- Preferred dates of your residency period,
- Preferred location for accommodation - urban or rural,
- CV/resume with 2 references on your character/artistic integrity,
- 2-3 representative samples of your creative/academic work,
- Please list any special requirements for your project (eg. equipment, studio space),
- Please indicate if you will have a vehicle (one can be provided if you have a current license, in English),.
- Please indicate if you plan to bring a spouse/companion along and if that person is also a creative practitioner.
- Please indicate if you would like to meet other artists during the residency,
- Please indicate if you would like to offer an activity at a local school or community group.
We have prepared this application form, which can be downloaded, filled out, and emailed to us.
Please see "What we Offer"on what NZ Pacific Studio provides.
The "About Us" section gives a short background to our charity organisation, run by volunteers.
Email: info (at) artistresidency.org.nz
Postal address: NZ Pacific Studio, P.O. Box 931, Masterton, NZ 5840